Importance of Monitoring Screen Time of Kids
The recent pandemic pushed kids to use technology for extended periods of time while taking online classes and children got addicted to these devices. This resulted in a drastic increase in eyes and vision related problems in children due to prolonged exposure to screens. Even after the resumption of physical classes post pandemic, the usage of these devices and gadgets persists and this is why it is crucial to monitor the screen time for kids.
Too much screen time can lead to various problems in children such as inadequate sleep, greater risk of obesity, and poor grades in academics. There can be psychological effects as well. It is therefore important to engage children in some fun and play activities both indoors and outdoors to disconnect them from these devices.
As a parent, you can always consider unstructured playtime more valuable for a young child’s developing brain than electronic media. Simple playtime activities, playing with their favourite toys, or interacting and playing with parents or even siblings, and other children can lead to overall development in the child.
The same pattern can be continued at the school as well. National Public school, one of the top CBSE Schools in Sarjapur Road follows this method of teaching for early learners. They give importance to engaging the children in activities that are fun-filled and keep the child engaged as important skills like listening, speaking, communicating, reading, etc, are all developed in the early stages.
Monitoring the screen time does not mean that the child should be completely refrained from watching. There are a few screen time benefits also for children where they will be able to learn music, stories, playing an instrument, painting, sketching, etc. As a parent, you can be with your child and encourage the child in these activities. Similarly, top schools also follow this, including audio-video classes in their curriculum. National Public School is one such school which harnesses the best of modern technology to help children learn better. However passive screen time should replace reading, playing and other activities.
Some screen time rules
- As parents, you can preview and watch programmes, games and apps that your child is engaged in, before allowing them to play or watch them. It would be even better if you can be a part of the game they are playing and together watch the videos that your child enjoys.
- Make sure that your child is close to you during screen time so that you can supervise his/her activities.
- As a parent, you have access to block or even filter the internet content that you find is inappropriate for the child.
- Ask your children what programme games or apps they played during the day, likewise, you can interact and discuss the content as well.
- You can always seek out interactive options that can engage your child rather than those that just require pushing and swiping or just staring at the screen.
- No media device in the child’s bedroom, kids who have television or mobile devices in their room end up being online much more than the children who don’t.
- There is a lot of brain-stimulating content as well as cyber crime these days. Therefore, It is smart to set limits and never too late to create healthy rules around screen time.
As parents, you may not notice the advantages and benefits of restricting screen time right away, but over a period of time, you will notice the health, wellness, and intellectual benefits of restricted screen time. Your child may be unhappy with the restrictions and screen time limit, especially at first, but remember there will be many benefits in the long run.